Wednesday, August 1, 2007

(Robert Larson) First Impressions

The first entry is always a little strange. I have been a pretty active blogger for about 6 years now. Starting in high school whining to no end about teachers and girls to being in Africa as a photographer / volunteer with a INGO . . . whining to no end about the meaning of life itself. So it has been awhile since that . . . hi I'm Robby and I think I'll start writing here now awkwardness. I am from L.A. not born but most definitely raised and this is my first time in Africa . . . and my first time working with Mercy Ships. Back home I worked as a photographer when I could and the rest of the time I just took pictures any ways. I did a little bit of everything but my heart has been in what they call "Fine Art" photography. I like to share MY interpretation of things more than I like serving a client/boss, but sometimes that is life.

This is my first time traveling for an extended period of time and every week that goes by I become increasingly thankful that I am here for 6 or 7 months rather than 2 weeks. I think my first impression of Africa was pretty much "Holy momma this is a dream". Looking out the window on the way to the harbor was basically like being torn from reality some random evening at home and shoved into the television during a National Geographic special . . . . then having to realize this was life now, at least for a little while. It is funny how your eyes can change. Everything looks like a photograph, everything looks like I dreamed it would, and it is all so very exciting. Then reality begins to set in. Suddenly there is homesickness and boredom, frustration and doubt that maybe non of this is really helping. At some point there is a balance that needs to be achieved. I could go on and on, and over time . . . little by little I will. I can honestly say that what excitement and wonder I still have is all swirling around the future. It is so rad that we have a blog that can be enjoyed as a community. I think there are so many people on this ship that would love to speak up and share their thoughts, their experiences . . . photographs, poems, whatever whatever the list goes on. Your gifts should be shared!

As for me personally, I just look forward to showing everyone how ranty and scatter brained I can be! hehe

No comments: